Wednesday, February 8, 2017

Quest System

hey all,
I've been working on putting together a quest system to work with my NPCs and their changing needs and moods. Following a few tutorials on how to set one up, I've decided to create an interface IObjective from which ten different objective classes will inherit.

Using these objectives, I can then create a Quest class that will contain, among other things, a list of objectives.



The quest system will have to be hooked up to the Item and Actor classes, much like it is in the Papyrus scripting used in The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim. This way, the quests can be updated and notified using events fired off by the items and actors that are part of the quest.

As a ... I actually don't know what to properly call it, but I've been working on a custom node editor for the Unity engine at the same time. The idea is that I can have custom nodes, windows, and graphs,  which could represent conversations, behavior trees, quests, or something else. Much like Skyrim has the Creation Kit editor, after I'm finished coding, Unity will have a custom interface that will allow me or others to quickly create new content, or to design the rules that the game engine will use to generate content on its own. At least, that is the conceit now. Besides, following this tutorial will give me more experience working with GUI, interfaces, events, reflection, and serialization, which will all benefit me in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment