Sunday, June 25, 2017

Rediscovery of Purpose

hey all,

Ever since I posted my Digestion game on Itch.io at the end of May I've been in something of a slump. I cannot even quickly count the number of different projects I've started and abandoned in that period. As a few examples:

  •  I began a test project to try to develop something like Total War's unit manager system to control the movement, pathfinding, and orientation of soldiers

  • I went back to my old node editor to try and mash it together with my quest system
  • I started watching tutorials about making game object databases, dialog editors, and quest managers
  • I went back to a radial progress bar script I had made months ago and tried to improve it
  • I went back a turn-based strategy game and started sprucing that up for a gamejam
  • In line with the previous entry, I learned a little more about 3D modelling using Blender to make a simple plant model
For the whole month of June, I didn't even bother checking or making events on my calendar. Normally, I'd schedule at least a week out in advance so that each morning's tasks would not be left to whim or chance. So, I've gone back into my calendar and started scheduling events and tasks again, but at this time it is mostly continuing several of the above projects. The gamejam at least has some potential to get my name out there among other developers.

The more work I put into game development, the more I realize that there is still more for me to learn. And the farther away my goal of making my own indie smash hit like Mount & Blade: Warband  seems.

No comments:

Post a Comment