Sunday, October 22, 2017

Particularly Wavy Black Hole Update

hey all,
I've continued working on the black hole effect, and now, after several weeks of work I have something that I like quite a bit. This effect is, in my opinion, almost ready to be included in the game. The main catch is that right now I am not checking for any collisions within the influence of the black hole itself. There is now really nice way of doing this, but I think I have an idea that might work.



The other update to the game is actually not visible at all, but should greatly increase performance. In previous versions, I would update the light every frame, even if nothing had changed. In the newest version, I have made use of a callback function on every moveable object. When the object is moved or rotated, the function notifies the light emitting object and the light is recalculated from the beginning. If no object gets moved, the light is not updated, which should have a lot of calculations each frame and make the game run much smoother.

There are one or two main updates I would like to make to the game before starting work on designing more levels, but these should be doable within the next two weeks (as the famous construction joke goes).


I'd also like to make the UI compatible with mobile devices, but that is a distant 3rd on my list of things to work on. In any case, here goes to successful game development.

No comments:

Post a Comment