Saturday, September 8, 2018

More Game Jams, Busy October

hey all,

It has been a surprisingly busy summer. Last August, I got the idea for Particularly Wavy and spent most of the last year working on that. Because of that, I didn't really do any game jams between 2017, August and 2018, May. However, in July and August this year I did participate in several game jams. The latest one was the Brackeys Game Jam, which had the theme of light. The game I created for that jam, Salvation of the Fireflies, has gotten more comments than my usual projects, so I'd like to extend my work on that a little and try to polish it up.

I've got one more coming up in a month or so, but my current focus is on two projects: a visual novel that I'm working with a very small team on, and my RPG/RTS project. For the former, we need player profile saving systems, and also systems that can interact with Fungus, which is a free plug in we are using to create the menus and dialogue. For the later, I am still hacking away at the date / time system. The goal there is to be able to create holidays, to correctly add and subtract amounts of time from a current date/time, and lastly to compute the difference between two dates/times. These actions will be necessary for making time pass correctly, waiting in game, and tracking time limits for quests.

Next month is going to be superbusy. Michi and I are planning on taking a four day hiking/camping trip to the Japanese Northern Alps, specifically Mt. Hotaka, and the very next day after we get back we're attending a performance of Mozart's The Magic Flute. The next weekend, we're going to see Frank Lloyd Wright's Imperial Hotel design near Nagoya, and the week after that we're checking out a Paul McCartney concert.

It is now six months until the next GDC, and I'm determined to go in 2019, no matter what. I really regret not going in 2018, but this time I've got enough saved up already and I plan on continuing to save throughout the year to make sure this happens.



Cheers,

No comments:

Post a Comment