Thursday, March 9, 2017

GDC

hey all,

GDC 2017 is over, and my oh my, how overwhelming, wonderful, boring, and fascinating it was. I've never been to San Francisco, so just that was pretty interesting for me. I was able to do a little sightseeing the day before GDC started, but after that I was in seminars and meetups almost the whole day every day after that. I have no idea how many people attended this year, but I read that in 2016 about 27,000 people attended, and it would not surprise me to know that around the same number did so this year.

I only went for the Educational pass, which although well worth it for the money, does severely limit what seminars you can attend. So, for the first two days, I participated in the Game Design Workshop, which was focused around working in small groups to design mechanics and themes for games. Really fun to finally work in a group, although I was lucky and most of the time my group was filled with great people from academia, the industry, and amateurs/hobbyists like myself.

The other days were spent running from room to room and building to building to attend the next seminar. In between those, I got to chat with random people and check out the expo, which featured games being developed by teams all around the world.

That's all for now, but expect more news soon.


No comments:

Post a Comment