Sunday, November 20, 2016

First Post

hey all,

It feels weird to be typing on blogger again after so long absent. My previous blog, Blog of An ALT, focused on my personal life here in Japan as an English teacher. Thing is, I'm not a teacher any more, or at least, not for much longer. I've quit my job and am looking to get into the game industry. As part of that new direction in my life, I've decided to start this new blog.

It will focus on the games I'm working on, the games I'm playing, and of course the trials and tribulations of both. The current plan is to post every Thursday about what I've been working on and playing during the rest of the week.

For example, I am a huge fan of Mount & Blade: Warband, and I've spent a few hours this week getting some ground work in on an RPG that I would like to model after it. Most of this involved setting up the basic classes that I need, like Weapon, Item, Attribute, Skill, Player, etc. I've also been doing some work on modelling emotions, moods, physical state, personality, and opinions, but this has not progressed too far. The goal is to have the NPCs in my RPG work something like the Sims in The Sims:  they will have different personalities, and basic physical, emotional, and social needs to be met, and different opinions about objects, other NPCs (or groups of NPCs), and the player. The player will be able to assist or frustrate those needs by interaction with the NPCs and objects in the world, but they will also be able to try to meet their own needs.

More to come next week.


2 comments:

  1. You're off to a great start on an exciting challenge. I'm very much looking forward to following your work and commentary.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! I hope I can keep this one interesting..

    ReplyDelete